Short story's about HMS Mahratta

Destroyer HMS Mahratta G23. Crew List of HMS Mahratta Photo's of the Crew: No 1-29. Photo's of the Crew: No 30-69 Photo's of the Crew: 70 and up HMS Mahratta Group Photo's No1-40. HMS Mahratta Group Photo's No 41+ Photo's of HMS Mahratta Old Newspaper Clippings Short story's about HMS Mahratta HMS Mahratta;- Service Summary 1943-44. HMS Mahratta Report and the Report on the Mahratta Swords. HMS Marksman and HMS Maratta Crest's Convoy and Operation Details 1943-44. The Russian Convoy Club; The Arctic Lookout. Jack Humble and Me at the Cove, Loch Ewe War Memorial Panels Looking for Contact with the following Family's About me and In Memory of my wife

Short Story's to do with HMS Mahratta


Ron Wheway and Jack Humble are asking for your help:

When HMS Mahratta was sunk, the survivors that were picked up had a photo taken on the flight deck of HMS Chaser, when on the way home, there was about 12 in the photo as 4 of them were too ill to join, each 1 of the survivors where given a copy, as Ron was in Hospital and not on the ship when it sunk he never had a copy, but Jack Humble was and he lost it when it was placed in his Jacket, so there are copy's out there and we would love to try and find a copy so these men can get a copy back.

Please contact me through , please state HMS MAHRATTA in subject box.


Story by Evan Morgan;

HMS Mahratta in the Sunday Pictorial. 

Evan Morgan's father was David Lewis Morgan, (stoker 2nd class) and Evan remember's his father, telling his wife, to get the Sunday Pictorial, because there was a center page cover of HMS Mahratta with maybe two other Destroyers, he thinks it was Jan / Feb 1944, just before the Destroyer was sunk.

Have now found the correct date, the paper was out on 23rd January 1944. but still looking for a copy.


Who was the man that David Lewis Morgan met on the way to join the Army?

David Lewis Morgan, had his calling up papers and was on his way to join the Army, he met someone who we will never know, this person was also on his way to join up, but he was joining the Navy and talked David into it, did they both end up on HMS Mahrrata, would like to find this question out.


Sailor that came from Cymmer, Blaengwynfi or Glyncorrwg.

Would like to find the name of the Survivor that came from Cymmer, Abergwynfi or Glyncorrwg.

He talked to David Lewis Morgan's wife, to say about the conditions. We cannot remember who he is or where he lived.

Contact made with this survivor, and living not to far away from us, Can't express how we felt when contact was made with this family, we are all looking forward to see what comes over the next few days / weeks.


Two story's, by Ron Wheway;

The Death of Leading Stoker Edward Vivian Thomas in 1943.

Ron Wheway and Leading Stoker Edward, were both on a 4 hour watch, as Edward was the senior of the two, he left to fetch both a cup / mug of Cocoa, leaving Ron to watch the dials.

Because Edward did not show up after about 1/2 hour, and Ron was unable to leave his station, he phoned through to the main engine room, to see where Edward was.

They found Edward badly injured.

To get along the deck, you have to hang onto the handrails, and use what sound like saftey bays. Edward was thrown by a hugh wave, againts the structure of the ship. Ron does not know if Edward crawled to the sick bay or if he was found and taken there.

His injuries were so bad, that he died shortly after.


Surgeon William Joseph McCullagh DSC. 

Ron Wheway also remember's the surgeon William Joseph McCullagh DSC, as it was he that told the Captain, that Ron should be taken ashore, because if Ron need a operation on his Appendix, he would be unable to do it on ship.

Because of this, Ron was taken ashore at Iceland to have an operation on his Appendix, the ship was torpedoed shortly afterwards.


Story by Anne Milton.

From HMS Selkirk to HMS Mahratta.

Her husband's Grandfather was Petty Officer Stoker James Stanley Mather D/KX 87182.

He started his service on board HMS Rodney, then went on board HMS Selkirk and was then promoted and transfered to HMS Mahratta. 


Found this short story, which permission has been given for me to use by Joe Tartaglia, as long as I add this note: the source IAN McCUNN, Class of January 1944, a graduate of what is now called SUNY Maritime College, Please click on the link

WW II Arctic Convoys which departed from Loch Ewe, Scotland. The donor, IAN McCUNN, Class of January 1944, recently returned to Lock Ewe "for old times sake," and writes: "I made this run in Convoy JW-57, departing Lock Ewe, February 20, 1944. It was my first trip after graduating from the Academy. I had signed on as 3rd Mate on the Liberty Ship SS JOHN W. POWELL (Cosmopolitan Steamship Company). It was on my watch, 2000 to 2400 hours, that the HMS MAHRATTA was torpedoed abreast our starboard side. She was a destroyer. It was pitch dark, sub-zero, with on and off blowing snow. She lost steerage when a torpedo struck her stern and moments later, when a second one hit her magazine, she exploded like a rocket, lighting up much of the convoy momentarily, and then went down in minutes. Over 200 British Tars were lost. We could hear her radio operator over the speaker on our flying bridge explaining what he knew of the situation right up to the moment the magazine was hit. On this run we seldom conned the ship from the main bridge, but rather from a steel and cement housing located over the main bridge with windows all around for better visibility. Yes, proper windows, not portholes."

"Incidentally, our ship never got closer to the port of Murmansk than anchorage in the Kola Inlet leading to the port. Instead, a small convoy was formed and we continued on to Molotovsk, since renamed [Severodvinsk], which was the winter port for Archangel. It took three ice breakers to get us through the White Sea. I finally did get to Murmansk 50 years later in the early 1990's..." [The library always welcomes donations of such publications. NFFS always welcomes alumni reminiscences.]


Story given by John Lee, Curator of the Somerset Cricket Museum.

Peter Moverley McRae, Surgeon Lieutenant. 

A personal note written by Raymond Robertson - Glasgow, the last moments of Peter McRae.

Raymond Robertson - Glasgow, a former Somerset cricketer who later became a noted and much respected cricket writer, wrote touchingly and tellingly of Peter McRae in his book called 'More Cricket Prints', which was published in 1948.

On a personal note, I recall an elderly Church of England priest (who himself had served in World War II) mentioning the last moments of Peter McRae in his sermon one Remembrance Sunday, at a church here in Taunton. Raymond Robertson - Glasgow wrote: - "In February 1944, Surgeon Lieutenant F.M. McRae, at the age of twenty - eight, was lost at sea after the Mahratta had been twice hit by torpedoes on a Northern convoy to Russia, and very many who knew and admired him would, perhaps, like to know the little, yet so much, which could later be added to the official story.

The first torpedo struck soon after dusk, doing enough damage for the captain to order 'abandon ship.' While the boats were being lowered the second hit midships, smashing all the boats and killing most of the crew. Seventeen survivors scrambled on to a crowded Carley Float with their doctor, McRae. Suddenly the doctor said: 'I appear to be in the way here,' and as if he were interrupting some private matter, slipped into the water. Rescue craft soon arrived, but McRae was not seen again. To all games, including life, 'Peter' McRae had the easy approach of the all - rounder. Coming from Christ's Hospital to St. Mary's, he early made a name as a Rugby centre three - quarter, and was a member of the St. Mary's team when they won the Hospitals Cup for six consecutive seasons. Sure of hand, and a strong tackler, he had an acute sense in attack and a baffling swerve.

He played in one International Trial match, and would surely have won his England cap but for injury. Considering how often he was ill at school and later, it was remarkable that he should have played Rugby at all.

At cricket he played for Somerset, for whom he was qualified by residence. He was worth 30 or 40 runs before he ever took guard, being a superb fielder at cover or extra - cover point. His batting was graceful and correct, but lively; and his form in the season 1939, showed that, granted opportunity, he was heading for an established excellence. He played twenty innings for Somerset in 1939, scoring 608 runs for an average of 30.40, including 107 at his home town, Taunton, against Hampshire, and he finished third to H. Gimblett and F.S. Lee in the County averages.

In Squash Rackets, which he took to last of all his games, he quickly reached the first rank, captaining Scotland in international matches, and being highly reckoned by the then world champion, F.D. Amr Bey. Praise of those who, in life, stand far beyond the need of it must have a sadly formal ring when they are gone; but, in the case of 'Peter' McRae, his friends will remember and agree that none who knew him could resist him, with his charm, his modesty, and the gentle humour that goes with the bravest hearts."


HMS Mahratta picks up 6 survivors from a B/58, they spent 10 days in a dinghy. 

Full story can be found at pages/11 days in a dinghy.htm

On the 8th October 1943, around 2.30pm. HMS Mahratta along with two other Destroyers HMS Matchless and HMS Valiant, came across a dinghy with six survivors in. They were the crew of a B/58.

They were picked up by HMS Mahratta and they arrived in Plymouth two days later, they were then transfered to the Royal Naval Hospital in Plymouth.


All rights reserved